Sunday 17 July 2016

Open Sky - no Beef from me

What a fantastic Open at Troon. The course was wonderfully set up yielding as many birdies and bogeys as pars, meaning that the proverbial "2 shot swing" between the leaders could happen at any time (and did quite often). It made for a hugely entertaining event.

I won't forget the drama of Mickelson's putt for a 62 on the first day. (I had forgotten how close Rory came at St Andrews in 2010, though admittedly his putt that lipped out was on 17 and a bit of a tiddler, but that's McIlroy's problem, isn't it?). The duel between Stenson and Mickelson was the best final round I've seen, perhaps because it was one of the best ever period, probably since the Nicklaus/Watson "Duel in the Sun" at Turnberry in 1976, which I can remember seeing some of even though I didn't follow golf then. The "Duel in the Wind" Wayne Riley called it on Sky.

The tone was set in the first 6 holes, with only 4 pars between the two golfers.

Mickelson is sometimes known as "Phoney Phil". I don't think it was just Tiger Woods who felt Mickelson was a phony. But when it comes to the incomparable golfer of his generation, and a strong candidate as the best of all time, i.e. Tiger, against outstanding golfer Mickelson who seems also to be a fully paid up member of the human race, I know which guy I'd rather meet. Even if some of his tour colleagues nicknamed him FIGJAM. Which apparently stands for "**** I'm Good, Just Ask Me".

However good he is he couldn't have counted on carding a final round of 65 and still losing. But Stenson equalled that all time best round in a Major of 63 in his final round. In the circumstances, truly outstanding .

Also there was the emergence of Andrew "Beeeeef!" Johnston, who gave us all such wonderful entertainment. (I know he won at Valderrama but most folk wouldn't have heard of him). Let's hope he can train on from here. It could be entertaining to see him at the Ryder Cup.

As for the TV coverage, the Daily Mail TV correspondent (not the golf correspondent I notice) had a good old whinge about Sky compared with the coverage on the BBC, especially the adverts. But I really enjoyed the coverage on Sky.

Firstly, just knowing that, whenever there was play, I could turn on and watch some golf without having to wonder whether coverage had started as on BBC.

Secondly, better commentators. The Mail dude "yearned for the luxuriant tones of Peter Alliss", an affliction I never suffered, unless perhaps I wanted to fall asleep. I know he was much loved by golf aficionados, but I only started watching seriously a dozen years ago or so and I suspect he was already losing his marbles by then. I've always preferred listening to Butch Harmon. When Brandt Snedeker hit a poor shot I chuckled at Harmon asking "who teaches this guy?" (he does) then, after Snedeker hit another poor shot at the next hole, saying "I don't want to take his call tonight. I don't want to answer those questions".

And finally, the Sky adverts are wonderful: they give you chance to catch up on the cricket score without missing anything. (This argument won't apply next year when the Lord's Test and The Open don't clash).

Post Script: 63 has been shot in a Major now nearly 30 times, but Stenson's was the first in a final round. And experience really does help on a links course: 4 of the last 6 Open winners have been over 40. Two-thirds compares with only 6 winners over 40 since 1990 in the other 3 Majors combined, around 12%, some five times less frequent. Buoyed by this fact and much older than Stenson (though admittedly far less experienced) I will go and do battle with a links course this afternoon. There will only be one winner....

No comments:

Post a Comment