Saturday 13 February 2021

Shhh, you can't get rid of her

Ursula von der Leyen remains under criticism for the performance of the EU vaccines programme but has rejected calls to resign saying the time to make a "final assessment" is at the end of her term as president of the EU Commission in 2024.

So, EU Parliament, chuck her out then, why don't you? Er, well they can't. The parliament can only dismiss the entire commission not just the president. Very democratic.

And member states are rallying behind her, at least in public, because they agreed to the pan-European approach to vaccine procurement. 

Von der Leyen says a country such as Britain acting alone can perform more like a speedboat compared to the EU tanker when organising such a programme.

Angela Merkel says the basic decision to order together as the European Union was right, but her vice chancellor, Olaf Scholz (pictured below) was more succinct about the Commission's performance. He said he stood by his comments leaked from a cabinet meeting, that von der Leyen's performance had been "scheisse".


Which was one of my father in law's favourite German words. Couldn't have put it better myself.



3 comments:

  1. Are you 'coming out' as a Brexiteer Phil?:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't 'Brexiteer' and 'Remainer' so last decade? Is there any such thing now we are out? Fortunately hardly anyone is suggesting we rejoin...
      As you know I voted remain but with a heavy heart because I have never warmed to the anti-democratic Brussels bureaucracy. Transported back to 2016 with today's knowledge I would almost certainly make the same decision again. But had there been a second referendum I would have voted leave because that was the democratic verdict of the people in a once off, 50%+1 vote referendum.
      The above makes me eurosceptic but as I never campaigned for Brexit and the deed is done I don't think I can be a Brexiteer.
      But if am no to ever rejoining....

      Delete
  2. It’s just to me you sound Brexiteer Phil. Be interesting to hear your views on our corrupt government, jobs and contracts for the boys and girls with feet in the Tory camp, political donations from winning (often untendered) contractors to the Tories and the general air of us sliding towards the kind of politics which makes me worry for our future. It could be that those on the right (not in the right I might add) can be unaware of such problems whilst seeing them very clearly in the EU and or its constituent counties?

    ReplyDelete