Saturday 26 November 2016

Stop calling my friends racists

"These second-referendum people puzzle me. If at some point you hope to persuade Leavers to defect, why call them thickos who fell for propaganda and lies? Why try to ban their newspapers, blame them collectively for Jo Cox’s death? Why tell them they are low-lifes and oldsters who hopefully will soon die? Doesn’t sound very persuasive to me."

So said Janice Turner in the Times today. The thrust of her piece was that liberal-minded folk in the UK and USA could stay in their safe spaces, no-platforming anyone who has a different point of view, pressuring businesses to try to get them to stop advertising in the "right wing press" (which unfortunately customers of said businesses read) and refusing to engage. They can stay pure, stay aloof and stay out of power for ever. Or they can listen, engage and try to understand. I imagine she feels this just might lead to a revised, coherent and appealing package of ideas and policies which could persuade and influence "our compatriots, who are the same mix of good and bad they were before June 23".

It didn't sound like she was holding her breath and neither am I. I expect the dialogue of the deaf will go on for some time yet, at least while the Remainers see the chance of thwarting Brexit by one rearguard tactic or another. And if they succeed? Well, there will be an equivalent howl of rage and dialogue of the deaf, won't there?

I can see only a divisive and divided future ahead just now. And I do resent my friends, a clear majority of whom voted Leave and none of whom regret it, being called racists when they are not.

Janice Turner, Liberal minds have snapped shut like clams: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/liberal-minds-have-snapped-shut-like-clams-bwxxkg38f

2 comments:

  1. Obviously not all Brexit voters were racists but can you imagine any racists not voting for Brexit? Discuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For what it's worth my guess would be that rabid racists probably didn't vote because they usually don't, though you might be right of course.I wouldn't normally quote the Human Rights and Equality Commission at you, DM, but you probably saw yesterday's reports which, as well as telling politicians to "calm down, calm down" said “The vast majority of people who voted to leave the European Union did so because they believe it is best for Britain and not because they are intolerant of others.” Which I take to be a somewhat more eloquent way of saying what I said. But of course I would.

      Delete